Sunday, March 18, 2012

215. Viva Mexico! A MEXICAN BOY DOLL

This cute, little composition Mexican chap I scored recently in Cubao--at Grand Thrift Shop, where else? That funky nook in Cubao Expo that has everything that mother threw away. I thought I'd found a Cisco Kid doll, a 50s TV series about a Mexican cowboy hero. I have that doll which looks exactly like this one--same height, same material, with the same drawn-on mustache--but the Cisco Kid doll was dressed in all-black, including his hat. A quick ebay search revealed that what I have is a generic Mexican souvenir doll depicting a Mexican cowboy. There is a Mexican girl version of this, and they were meant to be sold as a pair. Wish I have that too, but for now, this little hombre will do.

For an 8 inch tall doll, this Mejicano is quite detailed and well-made--right down to his holster with metal bullets! His gun is missing though, and his face shows a bit of crazing I have since cleaned it, washed its clothes and straw hat, plus repaired the chopped-off left foot with epoxy clay. When I first saw this, it was kept inside a large glass jar--which I also kept. These dolls were made for a long time--from the 1930s thru the 60s, and this example probably dates from the mid century. There are other variations of this doll depicting mariachis, vaqueros, dark-skinned bandidos--but all made from a similar mold. They are priced from $9.99 to $60 for a pair--less than what I paid for this doll, but at least I didn't have to go to Mexico to get this souvenir!

No comments:

Post a Comment