Monday, September 14, 2009

45. RADIO WAVE!



Radio rules the airwaves in the '50s as Pinoy audiences cocked their ears to listen to their favorite rock-around-the-clock music programs, Tita Betty's Children's Hour, radio drama serials such as Dr. Ramon Selga, Mga Kwento ni Lola Basyang, Edong Mapangarap, Kwentong Kutsero, the fiery commentaries of Rafael Yabut and the pieces of advice from Tiya Dely Magpayo and Kuya Cesar. Plastic radio consoles such as this German-made example were staple in every Filipino living room, a Pinoy lifeline to news, information and entertainment. I was ecstatic when I purchased this working model in Chatuchak collectible shop, lugging it all the way home in my suitcase. Occasionally, I would plug it to listen to my favorite programs. Listening to the voice of Kanye West, Mariah Carey and Justin Timberlake coming out from an old-fashioned radio just feels...weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment