Monday, July 5, 2010

130. DR. JOSE P. RIZAL PORTRAIT


I was walking along Arquiza St., in Manila one day, and I chanced upon this vintage portrait of our national hero, Jose P. Rizal. It was well-painted and signed, albeit, illegibly and had paint losses, but the face remain unscathed, fortunately (this shows the painting restored already). Time was when every elementary school library or classroom in the country had a painting of a hero--usually that of Rizal and Bonifacio. Aguinaldo and Del Pilar were other favorites too, and I have seen at least one of Juan Luna. This Rizal painting could have come from one such elementary school. Rizal's 150th birth anniversary is coming up next year, so I thought I'd rescue our hero from antique shop oblivion, before it goes the way of "mi ultimo adios'.

No comments:

Post a Comment