Sunday, April 18, 2010

117. RONALD MCDONALD PREMIUM DOLL

I thought I had lost Ronald McDonald, until I found him in a wicker basket atop an old book cabinet--still in its orginal plastic wrap. I remember getting this stuffed cloth-and-plastic doll from a McDonald's store in Hong Kong in the mid 1990s. You don't exactly get it as a freebie--you had to buy one Happy Meal, add a few HK dollars to take this home. Ronald McDonald first appeared as the mascot of the famous fastfood in 1963 where he lived out his adventures in McDonaldland, together with Mayor McCheese, the Hamburglar, Grimace, Birdie the Early Bird, and The Fry Kids.

Over the years, may Ronald McDonald premium dolls were given away, with the first doll made entirely of cloth. Remco made a mixed plastic and cloth doll in 1976. This mid 1980s version is just your basic Ronald doll that doesn't talk, doesn't roll its eyes or doesn't laugh the way that evil Chuckie doll chuckles. So, for the moment, it just sits on a chair in my bedroom, doing nothing. Now, that's my idea of a perfect collectible! Indeed, it's a good time, for a great toy..at McDonald's! So, send in the clowns!



No comments:

Post a Comment