Tuesday, July 21, 2009

5. HEAD HUNTING FOR LADIES


Heads up on these kookie flower vases!
Made since the 1940s all the way to the 1970s, lady head vases continue to be today’s hot, hot collectibles, commanding from $50 to an astounding $1,000! They're made in pretty much the same way--with closed, flirty eyes and with an opening either on top or the back of the head. They were made mostly in Japan, the U.S. and Britain. Well, I got these favorites for just a few hundred pesos-- I think the cheapest was about 80 pesos (pictured above), from my good old favorite haunt, Makati Cinema Square.

This is called by collectors the "Scarlett Head Vase', becase of its supposedly marked resemblance to Scarlett O'Hara of "Gone with the Wind". (Well, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn). I got this in a main street antique shop in Metuchen, NJ, owned by a sweet old lady, Mrs. Evelyn Fincke.
*****

I found a pair of these vases in Chatuchak, Bangkok--Southeast Asia's biggest flea market. I think the Thai local who got these was charmed by the Siamese-inspired headdress.
*****

Collectors say that ethnic-type vases like this Nubian head vase are rare, but I did not have to look far. I found this vase on my aunt's dresser which she used to hold her combs and brushes. When my dear aunt passed away, this came to my possession.
*****
This is a very large head that came with faux pearl jewelry. Very pretty! And the windswept, fly away 'do is so period. Found in a local thrift shop.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment