Monday, September 26, 2011

200. I, ROBOT

Tin metal robots from Japan are very desirable in the current collectible market today, boosted by the immense popularity of the 1970s robot wonder, Voltes V, Mazinger Z and Mekanda Robot. But as early as the 50s, tin robots were being made for the world market in large quantities--often with mechanical wound-up parts that made robots walk, glow, shoot weapons and emit sounds. There were Martian Robots, Gear Robots, Big Chiefman Robots, Meteor Tin Man and Robby the Robot with Blaster, made by assorted makers including Yoshio Toys, Osaka Tin Toys and Metal House Toys.


The one I recently got dates from the late 70s, with more plastic parts than tin. I have no idea who this robot is or who manufactured it. But it is typical of those made in Japan with Automatic Action, Stop 'n Go, Swing Open Door and Shooting Gun Action. Battery operated, this robot still works! Rght now, it doubles as a guard robot, ready to shoot imaginary gamma rays to those who dare enter my inner sanctum of a room.

1 comment:

  1. Great article, enjoyed it. Now time to get backto work, I’ve spent more then an hour just surfing around from site to site this morning.I just ordered these consoles at PIJ! I’m excited! I’m going to have these in week! http://bit.ly/Voltes

    ReplyDelete