Sunday, January 19, 2014

288. BUDDHA INCENSE HOLDER

Now here's a small Buddha incense holder made from delicate porcelain. It is another one of those Made in Japan pieces and probably dates back to the 50s. Incense sticks were stuck behind the figure and the ashes were collected in the opening at the back--now that's neat!
Religious figures often inspire artisans to come up with objects for domestic use. I have seen the Blessed Virgin converted into a bottle, a Jesus planter, and a Saint Joseph night lamp. I guess this incense holder is more appropriate to Buddha. In any case, I like the nostalgia this piece evoked, and the bright, vivid colors add to the appeal. It sits on my desk now, not as an incense holder but as a receptacle for my paper clips, a reminder to keep calm and work, work, work!!

No comments:

Post a Comment