Thursday, September 19, 2013

274. What Is It? A FINIAL? A CENTERPIECE? A DECOR?

I found this creation in a shop along Sta. Rita's antique strip. It represents maybe a fruit (pineapple, perhaps? a symbol go hospitality) or a flower bud. It is made of pottery clay, then painted--I don't know if it it's molded by hand. Its base on where the "bud" rests is very similar to bases for old Philippine religious figurines. It is a hefty piece, about 8 inches tall, and certainly, an old one, but I can't figure out its purpose or function.
I asked the dealer what it was, but she had no idea. All she could tell me was that it came from an old house (which dealers tell to practically all their customers!) What could this be? Could this be a table centerpiece to hold flowers. maybe? (There's a hole on top). or could just this be an architectural detail, a finial for a cabinet or a staircase?
As I am stumped, I leave it up to you dear reader, to figure out this mystery piece. What do you think is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment