Thursday, August 16, 2012

234. WE THREE KINGS: Nativity Figures

Christmas is still a long way off, but I just have to show this trio of plastic royalties that dates back to the psychedelic 60s. I found these in the weekend Avondale Market in Auckland, NZ--which is basically a farmer's market with a sprinkling of open stalls selling vintage stuff. Melchior, Gaspar and Balthazar may have been part of a Nativity set, typical of examples cheaply sold in the 50s and 60s. I couldn't find a manufacturer's mark, maybe these were made in Hong Kong. Holiday collectibles such as these have their own crazy collectors--and I guess I am one of them. Right now, this  merry plastic trio are gathered 'round my little plastic Christmas tree that is displayed year-round in my little house, ready to welcome visitors with their plastic gifts of myrrh, gold and frankincense.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Nativity collecting is indeed addictive.
    They look similar to these guys:
    http://s.ecrater.com/stores/175229/4d5b19df944d8_175229b.jpg

    http://s.ecrater.com/stores/175229/4d5b19d379938_175229b.jpg

    ReplyDelete